The Importance of Dental Sedation
Dental care is an important part of your overall wellbeing and if you need dental implants in Melbourne or the Vero Beach areas, you should get the procedure as soon as realistically possible. However, many have a fear of visiting their dental professional. This is a quite common concern and could be related to a multitude of reasons both health-related and personal in nature. That is why dental sedation is advised for patients who need assistance to be comfortable.
Ways Sedation Helps Patients
When a periodontist advises dental sedation, there are many methods depending on your situation and comfort level. These can include the application of oral sedation, nitrous oxide, and intravenous sedation. These methods can vary in strength and overall effects so your dental experts will advise which method is best for you.
- Increases Relaxation: getting dental implants can be a stressful event for many people. With proper sedation, this stress can be removed making the process far more relaxing and less of a mental strain. This is also practical if you have issues with anxiety or a simple dislike of medical procedures.
- Allows For More Complete Work: when you are relaxed, your periodontist can complete the needed procedure in far fewer steps. This is because if you have a fear or phobia of dental procedures, there is only so much you can emotionally tolerate before you have to end the appointment. This can turn a procedure that can be completed in one longer visit into several shorter visits. This is not only inconvenient to you but can also lead to additional stress. With sedation, your procedure can be done in fewer visits and save you time.
- Speeds Up the Process: with sedation, you are a lot more calm and less likely to react negatively to dental work. This not only makes things easier on you, but it also makes things easier on your dentist. If you’re calm your dentist can concentrate on their work and won’t be interrupted. This makes the work faster, more efficient, and allows you to return to your daily life quicker.
- Reduces Fear: often, fear is not logical. It is an emotional response and the fear of medical treatments and procedures are a common concern. The sights and smells of a dental office can often make you fearful even if you know such a reaction is unnecessary. With sedation, this fear is greatly reduced making your appointment relaxing and not a cause of fear, stress, and anxiety.
- Reduces Pain: for many, the fear of pain when visiting a dental professional can be the main cause of stress and discomfort. This is especially true if you’ve had a bad experience in the past. Depending on the severity of these events, this could result in a phobia. Sedation not only helps keep you calm, it increases your pain tolerance making the process far less stressful.
- Can Help With the Gag Reflex: some people have a notably strong gag reflex and this can be an issue when getting dental implants. Gag reflexes are hard to control and involuntary. This means that if you have a strong gag reflex, it can be hard to suppress. With sedation, your gag reflex is lessened allowing your dentist to continue work uninterrupted.
Contact Vero Implants and Periodontics
When you need dental care, there are many offices and dental professionals to choose from. At Vero Implants and Periodontics, your comfort and receiving the highest quality care are of utmost importance. When you need dental work, you want to know you are in expert hands. Our trusted team will carefully review your situation and will advise and discuss the next steps and expectations with you. At Vero Implants and Periodontics, we are well versed in dental care and our expertise in periodontology means that your teeth will be well cared for. No matter your need, if it’s a cleaning or getting dental implants to replace teeth, we are here to help make your smile whole again. Contact Vero Implants and Periodontics today!